This is part of an ongoing series about social media and small businesses. Living in Salt Lake City, Utah I’ll be using examples from the beehive state but obviously the ideas I’ll be presenting in these
article will work anywhere. Small businesses are the backbone of our economy so if you know any SB owners that might benefit from this article please send them a link to this information.
I love pizza, I go to a great little pizzaria called Este Pizzaria at least 2x a month if not more. Last time I was in I started talking to the owner about his business and how he markets himself and one thing he brought up was how hard it was for small businesses to market themselves online. So Este Pizzaria I dedicate these 5 ideas to you.
- Set up a page on your website where people can submit pizza recipies and everyone can vote on them, UserVoice is a great vote based system that could be used like this. Then after a month the most voted pizza could be on the menu for a while. Or even eaten in a private party with the recipe creator and their friends. The even could be recorded and put on YouTube and MySpace video.
- After a while of doing the pizza competitions you could release a free eBook of pizza recipes from the winners and even offer a print version in your store.
- Start a blog about pizza. Talk about making dough, making sauce, put up videos of how to toss a pizza, etc. Several restaurant owners have already done this in their respective areas like Justin Levy at the Prime Cuts Blog.
- Have an art competition where artists paint pizza boxes. Collect both online and offline votes. Then take the winner(s) design and use them as your pizza box design for a while. When the winner(s) are announced you could hold a pizza party for them and put it online.
- With any of these you can create a widget through sites like WidgetBox, KickApps and others to promote the contests and get your fans to spread the word for you.
What do you think? Have any ideas of your own to share? I’d love to hear them in comments section.
Business Week Topic Social Media Marketing