There has been A LOT of talk about Motrin lately and their delayed reaction and how they angered people and etc. It’s still a hot topic on Twitter, and honestly I find the whole thing a bit absurd. Not how they depicted Mom’s, but the overzealous reaction to a commercial that was trying to be funny and “hip”. The tone of the commercial, the way it was done was not in a serious manner, it sounded like a cheesy Mother’s Day card sponsored by Motrin.
As the title suggests this is all I’m going to say about it and so to make this quick and dirty I’ll present my ideas with some bullet points and a few links at the end sending you to what other people think about it.
- Can’t help but think that incredibly harsh reactions like this will only scare companies away from social media. They will begin to fear screwing up and be more worried about not offending anyone than trying and learning from their mistakes.
- We need to learn to take things a little less serious on the internet. When something is presented by Tetris shaped text and a really lame crazy face animation at the end it’s probably meant to be lighthearted and take with a grain of salt and two Motrin.
- The larger the brand the slower they move. With the numbers as low as they are for big brand participation in social media, is it really a surprise they weren’t listening to what the internet had to say?
Now for some links from what other people had to say about the whole deal.
- Media Bullseye – Forget Motrin, Take a Deep Breath
- Janet Fouts –When Motrin Moms Attack
- John Carson – Motrin’s Miserable Monday
And here is where I also debut a new feature on my blog posts. In my ever going crusade to be more of a social media artist I’m going to post links to related articles that I have saved in my Delicious book marks.
Related Delicious bookmarks – Motrin
Questions, comments, thoughts???
Thank you for reading,
Josh “Shua” Peters